What is prostatitis?
Prostatitis is a common urological infection that can affect men of all ages. The condition involves the inflammation of the prostate. There are four types of prostatitis each with a range of symptoms. The four types of prostatitis are:
- Acute Bacterial Prostatitis – (Least Common Type of Prostatits)
- Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis – (Similar to Acute But Symptoms Develop Gradually and are Less Severe)
- Chronic Non Bacterial Prostatitis – (Most Common Type of Prostatitis)
- Asymptomatic Inflammatory Prostatitis – (Men with This Type Prostatits Show No Symptoms Despite an Inflammation of the Prostate)
What causes prostatitis?
Acute Bacterial Prostatitis - Is caused by a bacterial infection of the prostate gland.
Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis - Is caused by a bacterial infection of the prostate gland.
Chronic Non Bacterial Prostatits – Is not caused by a bacterial infection. Nerves, stress and hormones may contribute to CNBPAsymptomatic Inflammatory Prostatitis – The cause is not clearly understood.
What are the signs & symptoms of Acute/Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis?
Acute Bacterial Prostatits Symptoms may include:
- Pain in the Pelvis & Genital Area
- Painful Urination
- Frequent & Urgent Need to Urinate
- Body Aches
Chronic Bacterial Prostatits Symptoms are similar to Acute Bacterial Prostatitis but are less severe, but intensity may fluctuate.
What are the treatments for prostatitis?
Treatment for Prostatitis depends on type. Antibiotic prescriptions taken by mouth are the most common forms of treatment.